Healthy Aging.
The New Global Challenge.

According to the World Health Organization, Healthy Aging is “the multifactorial process of developing and maintaining functional abilities that enable well-being in older age.”1

The concept of healthy aging is very relevant for all generations because the aging process is influenced by the life choices and habits we adopt from a young age and because a healthy senior population has exponentially positive effects on our societies’ well-being.

Why discuss Healthy Aging?

The world’s population is aging at an increasingly rapid pace.

According to United Nations data, globally, in 2022, it was found that about 10% of the population was over the age of 65, and that percentage is expected to grow: it is estimated this figure will rise to 12% by 2030, and 16% by 2050.2

In Western countries, including Italy, the situation is even more pronounced: the percentage of the population over age 65 was 19% in 2022, and estimates show a dramatic prospective increase in these figures, with 22% in 2030 and 27% in 2050.2

More than a quarter of the population in the EU will be over 65 in 2050, with Italy exceeding 35%.

With an increasingly elderly population, it is necessary to ensure that people’s quality of life and health remain optimal for as long as possible, not only for the well-being of the individuals but also to avoid the negative impact an aging population can have on the economy, society, and the healthcare system, which is why the United Nations has implemented the “Decade of Healthy Ageing” campaign to promote activities that support healthy aging, also in collaboration with the World Health Organization.3

Everyone has the right to live a long life in the best way possible, and we are firm believers in this vision.

Our mission is adding life to years.

For decades, scientific research has focused on the concepts of longevity and lifespan, on trying to live as long as possible; until now, there has been much less focus on how we live during our elderly years.

Healthspan vs Lifespan

Healthspan refers to the number of years lived in health, while Lifespan refers only to the total number of years lived.

Over the past 60 years, life expectancy, and hence lifespan, has increased by nearly 20 years – people are living much longer. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the number of years lived in good health: there has been no improvement in terms of healthspan in recent decades; only 50% of the population actually experiences a healthy aging process.4

We want to shift the focus less to the promise of “Longevity” and more to the possibility of healthy living in old age.

It’s not how long you live but how you live that matters.

Adding life to your years is possible and is much easier than you might think: scientific studies show that only 20% of our genetics determine how we age; the remaining 80% depends on our lifestyle.5

We control our aging through positive behavior such as exercising regularly, eating a healthy and balanced diet, getting sufficient sleep, avoiding smoking and alcohol, and getting involved in social activities, for example.

Adopting sound habits is the foundation of healthy aging, and we at HAP Body Brain Skin® want to do our part, which is why we offer product solutions aimed at helping people on their journey toward Healthy Aging.

HAP Body Brain Skin®. Healthy Aging Power. Age Healthy. Live HAP.

Learn about our integrated HAP Body Brain Skin® system


1 World Health Organization, Healthy ageing and functional ability – Q&A, October 26, 2020.

2 United Nations, Department of Economic and Social Affairs/Population Division – World Population Prospects 2022. Read the official document


4 McKinsey Health Institute, Adding years to life and life to years, March 29, 2022.

5 Herskind AM, McGue M, Holm NV, Sørensen TI, Harvald B, Vaupel JW. The heritability of human longevity: a population-based study of 2872 Danish twin pairs born 1870- 1900. Hum Genet. 1996 Mar; 97(3):319-23. Read the article


Discover detailed information on Healthy Aging topics and the science at the base of the HAP Body Brain Skin® integrated system.
Sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss news and advantages of the HAP Body Brain Skin® world as well as updates on the Healthy Aging universe.

Subscribe to the newsletter to get
15% off your next purchase.